Poole Lifeboat volunteers have had a busy few days!

On Thursday November 16 at 11.25 Poole lifeboat volunteers were requested to launch by Solent Coastguard to a report of an 18ft vessel with two people on-board that had had found themselves aground near the entrance to the Wareham river.

As the crew made their way to assist, the tide had come back and the vessel had managed to successfully re-float and had headed back to their berth at Cobbs Quay.
Then at 16.26 the pagers set off again this time it was a report that someone was in the water.
A few of the crew reside on the Hamworthy side of the bridge and there was little time to get across to the station before the bridge lifted, however an agreement was put in place earlier in the year that guaranteed that in an emergency the bridge operator would suspend the lift, allowing crew to get to the station. 

The report from Solent Coastguard was that a distressed person was in the water off Alum Chine, light was fading fast, the lifeboat launched immediately and the crew were soon on scene. They located the person and a crew member entered the water gently and calmly to speak with the casualty.

As darkness fell, the casualty agreed to transfer onto the lifeboat and be taken back to the lifeboat station where an ambulance was standing by. After refuelling the lifeboat was ready for service by 18.30.

Three of the four crew that went out on the Atlantic for the Shout, came over the bridge from Hamworthy so the station is very grateful to the Borough of Poole and the Bridge Operators for agreeing to delay the lift as it probably saved someone’s life.

On Saturday November 19, the D class lifeboat was tasked to assist a dinghy with two people on-board that had been spotted capsized near to Jenkins Marine, near to Truckline.

As the crew made their way round, the Herbert Ballam tug had gone to check that they were okay. The casualties were transferred from the tug and taken to Poole Yacht Club to warm up, the PYC safety boat assisted in recovering the dinghy. The lifeboat returned back to station.