Another Busy Day For Poole Lifeboats 30/07/18

As the busy month of July is nearing the end for the Poole lifeboat volunteers there was still time for back to back shouts.

The lifeboat launched at 10.20am to a report of two people in the water near the Chain Ferry, the information had come through via a passing Harbour Cruise boat and other calls from shore, that a dinghy was up turned.

The winds were blustery and conditions choppy in the harbour.

When the lifeboat arrived on scene they found the vessel with two people on-board in the shallows off Brownsea Island.

The occupants confirmed they had capsized several times but were ok, they just needed to bail out some water but happy to sail on, however as the lifeboat stood by it was discovered that the dinghy’s rudder had snapped so they were unable to make it back to Hamworthy by themselves.

One crewmember went into the shallows to help de-rig whilst the two casualties were transferred on board the lifeboat, both were okay but did not really want the fuss of accepting help, with the choppy conditions not letting up , a towline was attached, as a crewmember stayed in the dinghy and the lifeboat towed the dinghy back to the slipway at Hamworthy Park.

With the reluctant casualties safe ashore, the lifeboat returned back station, after refuelling was ready for service by12.05pm

Then later on in the afternoon, Poole Lifeboat was tasked by UK coastguard to a report of a vessel aground in the harbour at 3.30pm (Monday July 30)

A 28ft yacht with two people on-board had broken down had run aground on the south west side of Stoney Island, with winds gusting from the South West and intermittent squally showers conditions were choppy and as it was approaching high water the vessel was not going to get off without any assistance.

The lifeboat arrived on scene, a crewman was transferred on-board, to check that the occupants were okay and if there was any signs on ingress below, he then attached a tow line, and the lifeboat brought then back to Poole Quay boat haven.

When the vessel was safely tied alongside the lifeboat returned back to station, after refuelling and washing down, it was ready for service by 5.30pm.