History of Poole Lifeboat Station: 1900–38

1900–38

1906

Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum were awarded to Coxswain Superintendent Richard Wills and Crew Members Thomas Wills, John Wills, Richard Cartridge and Henry Russell for rescuing two men from a capsized fishing vessel off Christchurch. They were also granted 30/- each.

1910

Poole Lifeboat  (59)       A new 37½ft lifeboat arrived at the station. It was named Harmar on 4 June.

YouTube Harmar on exercise

1912

The Post Office connected the Coxswain’s house by telephone to the Post Office at Poole.

1914

As the station was situated across the road from the gas works, a mortar – provided in 1892 to summon the crew – was replaced by socket distress signals. The mortar may have been mistaken by the locals as an explosion at the gas works!

1915

Members of the crew had been called up for War service but sufficient men were available should the lifeboat be required.

1917

Lifeboat station renamed Poole and Bournemouth Lifeboat Station.

1919

The lifeboat was launched on service 8 January to the assistance of an ex-German submarine manned by a Japanese crew. Its crew of 28 were rescued.

Pathe U-boat on Poole Quay

1938

Poole Lifeboat  (2)    On 1 June the Harmar launched for the last time to the yacht Zaire. This was the last launch of the sailing lifeboat era at Poole lifeboat station.